Monday 9 May 2011

My Parents were right all along!

I remmber when i was 15 , i used to hate my parents. They didn't want me to go out at night with friends, didnt want to buy me a cellphone and always said no whenever i asked for stuff  "we don't have the money" my mom would always say...or "you dont really need that". She doesn't know what i need, i thought to myself . And as a teenager you always wanna keep up with the latest trends and fashion and my parents didn't wanna buy me all the things i wanted and for that i hated them so much...the only time i got what i asked for was when i asked for school stuff. At17 when i started dating, my mom would say "you dont need a boyfriend, wait till you're older, boys are just going to hurt you and complicate your life"
My mom would say "we know whats best for you and we know what you need... so we might not be giving you all that you want but i know we're giving you everything  that you need" and i didnt understand that then.

Years went by and i finally went to high school and then Varsity...things i learned a lot of things. I now had to actually decide what was more important and had to make choices. My parents would send my money each month...and i was never enough to cover everything that i needed, and i had to priorities between what i needed and what i wanted. Now i understood what my Parents meant when they say "we dont have money to but that" or "you dont really need that". But the only thing that was different now was that i could buy what i wanted if i wanted to, well for the first year i did just that bought me all i needed but only to find out i spent everything way before month end. As for going out...i could go out to whereever whenever i needed to but in most cases i 'd stay in my room during weekend and not go out. The problem is that we want most what we can't have.

So now i am working and my little sisters phone me asking for stuff and guess what i say "i dont have the money for that" or "you dont really need that"...and sometimes i sit and think..Shit!!! I'm starting to sound just like my mother. And i realise that i'm a grown up and that everything my Parents said was true and they were right about most of the things. Especially the part about "boys mesing you around and complicating your life"

So as much as i hated my parents growing up...there were only looking out for me and preparing me for the future and they trully loved me and I love them so much fo that!

No comments:

Post a Comment